Question: Adnexal mass; should I be concerned?

piscesrox - Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:40 pm

I am a 38 year old woman who went in for a routine pelvic exam 2 weeks ago. Upon the manual pelvic exam, my gyno must have felt something irregular, because next thing I knew he was performing a pelvic u/s. Based on the u/s, he stated that I have an adnexal mass that looks mostly solid and "peanut shaped". He stated that it could be nothing, but wanted a CT done to get a better look at it. I had the CT performed 2 days later. I heard back from my doctor's nurse 2 days after that, and she said that the doc would like for me to return in 2 weeks for another u/s. I asked her if the CT showed if the adnexal mass was just a cyst. She replied, "Yes. It's a cyst. The doc now has precise measurements of it.". I thought it was a somewhat strange reply. I was relieved to hear that it's just a cyst...but don't understand why she made the statement a few times in our brief conversation that "they have very precise measurements of it now", and why I need to come back for another u/s in 2 weeks. I would have thought that watchful waiting would mean I would return a longer amount of time. Also, I have had 2 previous surgeries for ovarian cyst removals (both taken place more than 10 years ago.) *This gyno was completely new to me, btw. This was my first visit with him. Oh, also...I have never had children. My husband and I have been trying without any luck. I have regular cycles though.
Thank you for your help in answering my questions and concerns.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 20, 2009 6:45 pm

I suspect your doctor just wants to monitor this over time. The plan of action varies among practitioners who must make a judgment call. Being a little overcautious is not a bad thing. I suspect you will wait longer but in the meantime the doctor can see if there has been any change. Since this doctor is new to you, the goal may be to just get a better idea of any pattern or change that might be occurring. At your age adnexal masses are most likely to be follicular (corpus luteum cysts) of the ovary.

After menopause these masses become more concerning, but I would not be alarmed. I think you are getting good care.

piscesrox - Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Since my posting of this question, my gyno found a mass on my bladder as well (from the CT scan). He felt that he needs to do a laparoscopy for a better defination of what's going on. I explained to him that I've learned that because I've already had 2 laparoscopies done, and am struggling to get pregnant, it's best to do this if only necessary. He then refered me to a specialist, stating that he doesn't feel comfortable performing the surgery. I saw the specialist last week, and he feels that it's just an endometrioma. I am having laparoscopy done next week. I asked the specialist point blank if it's anything for me to be concerned about, and he said no. He stated that the mass will have to come out, which means the removal of my ovary and tube that is affected. He stated that my bladder looks ok on the most recent u/s. He cannot diagnose anything until he actually gets in there, he stated.

|