News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Swine Flu and Pregnancy

lharris1973 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:28 pm

I have a co-worker that is on vacation in Mexico. I am 3 and 1/2 months pregnant. Should I take any precautions or should I have any concerns when she returns?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 6:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course there is a risk of exposure for your friend so if she shows any signs of illness she should stay home from work for seven days or until she is completely well. If she does get sick it would be good to have it lab-confirmed so if anyone else catches it from her, they will be able to get prompt treatment. This may seem like overkill if she has just a run-of-the-mill virus or common cold but it is irresponsible now to do anything else. This is for anyone; not just you because you are pregnant.

There is no vaccine for you that is effective against Swine flu so the usual precautions of staying away from sick people, frequent hand washing and eating healthy foods to help your health are the best measures you can take.

The reason flu is dangerous in pregnancy is because some people get very high fevers or develop secondary infections and that is not good for you. Most Americans are recovering from the flu without problems so hopefully that will be the case for you if you do get it. There are antiviral drugs to treat this if you do become ill and these are ideally started within two days of becoming ill. Since drug testing is not done on pregnant women, we can't say for sure this is safe but no reports of problems among pregnant women who have taken it have been reported so it is believed to be OK.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here