Question: Swine Flu and Pregnancy

lharris1973 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:28 pm

I have a co-worker that is on vacation in Mexico. I am 3 and 1/2 months pregnant. Should I take any precautions or should I have any concerns when she returns?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Of course there is a risk of exposure for your friend so if she shows any signs of illness she should stay home from work for seven days or until she is completely well. If she does get sick it would be good to have it lab-confirmed so if anyone else catches it from her, they will be able to get prompt treatment. This may seem like overkill if she has just a run-of-the-mill virus or common cold but it is irresponsible now to do anything else. This is for anyone; not just you because you are pregnant.

There is no vaccine for you that is effective against Swine flu so the usual precautions of staying away from sick people, frequent hand washing and eating healthy foods to help your health are the best measures you can take.

The reason flu is dangerous in pregnancy is because some people get very high fevers or develop secondary infections and that is not good for you. Most Americans are recovering from the flu without problems so hopefully that will be the case for you if you do get it. There are antiviral drugs to treat this if you do become ill and these are ideally started within two days of becoming ill. Since drug testing is not done on pregnant women, we can't say for sure this is safe but no reports of problems among pregnant women who have taken it have been reported so it is believed to be OK.

|