Question: fibrocystic breast disease

bpmarina - Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:00 pm

hi in 01/ 2008 ,i was diognos -fibrocystic breast disease,becouse i have lump(6cm) in my rigth breast,wich was surgecly remove,.And now i have other lupm in my left breast (5cm),it grow in 6 month,and surgen told me i have to remove it too.And also my ultrasound show that i have birads category 3 in both breasts probable benign findings.IS any other solution for my problems ?AND thats mean i have to do surgery every time the cyst opear???thank u
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Unfortunately, this disease does cause a lot of stress and often what seems like unnecessary procedures, just to be sure. It's best to err on the side of caution so you should check out all lumps so when in doubt you should get a clinical examination and sometimes ultrasounds are used. Over time you will probably become quite adept at determining what these particular lumps feel like for you.

There's a good chance that fibrocystic breast disease is related to your cycle and hormonal fluctuation and it frequently begins in your 30s when more changes are apparent. A family history of this disorder also is common.

Treatment typically consists of pain and swelling relief, if this is a problem. Some women find they have less discomfort if they give up caffeine and take acetaminophen or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen or prescription). In some cases oral contraceptives help reduce cyclic swelling. I would chart changes in connection with your cycle to see if you have a pattern to the breast changes.

I know this is a frustrating condition because of the ever-present though slim possibility that you could develop a more serious lump, which would not be unusual for you so could be ignored. You are not at greater risk for cancer but the symptoms could be ignored so vigilance in self-exams is important.

Best wishes

|