Question: Withdrawal bleeding from the pill and pregnancy

lilem13 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if it is possible to get the usual withdrawal bleeding, that you get when you take the inactive pills when on the pill, and still be pregnant?

I ask this because I did skip a few pills at the begining of my pack, and have had swollen and sore breasts with dark viens a week before my period, and then again as soon as it finished they became swollen again. I hardly ever get swollen breasts, even once a month, never twice a month. It is now a week since my period finished and they are still swollen.
I have also been experiencing headaches, tiredness, constipation and don't ever feel hungry for anything but fruit. I always have cramping before my period starts, but this month I had no discomfort at all, it didn't feel like it was coming, but then it lasted 6 days, when it usually lasts only 4.

Is it possible to be pregnant on the pill and still get withdrawal bleeding on the due date? Or are these symptoms just a sign of hormonal imbalance?

Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 13, 2009 10:53 pm

The chances of pregnancy are not very good when you get the withdrawal bleed as usual. Missing the period is the standard clue of pregnancy when not on any pills. While taking contraceptives it is even less likely you would be pregnant without missing the bleeding. I would not expect this to be pregnancy.

All the symptoms you describe can result form normal hormonal changes so I would not be alarmed. If you worry, you can always take a home pregnancy test for reassurance. Taking the pill does not make the test invalid.

|