Question: swollen breats after period

jesohln - Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 am

I am a 22 year old who had my period a couple of days ago, it was normal, but just a little lighter.
I always get sore and swollen breasts before a period, but this time it continued even after. My period has been over for about 4 days now but I still feel just as sore and swollen. plus, my sexdrive seems unusually high.
I am in a relationship but we always use condoms, but he usually come inside of me for a little bit before we but a condom on.
I don't think I can be pregnant since I had my period just barely, or am I wrong?
thanks, Jess
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 1:36 pm

I agree that it is unlikely you are pregnant, having just completed your period. Hormones fluctuate constantly throughout your cycle so such symptoms can occur any time. It will probably be temporary. If not, talk to your doctor.

Just so you know, it is possible to get some leaking semen with sperm prior to ejaculation so this is not a very reliable method of birth control (using the condom after having had penetration). You may want to consider adding a second method to help protect you if pregnancy is not in your plan. Meanwhile, take a daily multivitamin in case pregnancy does occur. It is important to have the folic acid on board BEFORE conception so this is recommended for ALL women of childbearing years.

jesohln - Mon May 04, 2009 5:00 am

thank you for the reply!
I will keep that in mind.
but I've heard it's possible to have menstruation
even though you're pregnant. Or is that just a mild bleeding?
how long do you think I should wait before going to the doctor, weeks or months?
thanks, Jess
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 5:08 pm

A home pregnancy test is reliable about the time of a missed period so if what you had was just some light implantation bleeding, rather than a true period, your test would probably show up positive if you are pregnant by any chance. Usually the "periods" reported after pregnancy are just that - a single event of implantation bleeding as the placenta attaches. Rarely does a woman continue to bleed monthly throughout the pregnancy. I have heard of such cases but they are rare.

|