Question: The morning after pill & menstrual cycle

Nichole03 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:18 pm

I currently took the morning after pill a day after having unprotcted sex around the 18th or 17th or april. It has been maybe a week and a half and at first my discharge seemed to be little to none. Then it appeared normal as usual, but now it has turned a light brown. It has been this way for a few days. I have pain in the left side of my hip...? And when I go to use the restroom I have a hard time pooping, but before I had trouble, I had diarehha...My period isn't due until around the 9th of May but my cycles usually are irregular occurring a few days before or after the "scheduhled" time. I'm wondering if the morning after pill could cause me to mensturate early...Or if I should grab a pregnancy test...? I know that brown discharge is a sign of pregnancy and that the morning after pill contributes to some ectopic pregnancies...? help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Yes, this strong hormone can definitely affect your cycle both in timing, type of discharge and other side effects. I would expect the pill to have been effective, taken soon like you did. There are many causes of abdominal discomfort and bowel-related problems such as diarrhea and constipation, with cramping, is quite common.

Ectopic pregnancies occur 6 to 8 weeks after a missed period so you can pretty much rule this out if the sexual encounter only occurred April 17-18. A home pregnancy test is usually reliable a week after the missed period.

If pain continues, you will want to have it checked out but I would not be alarmed at the bleeding. Brown blood usually means old blood that wasn't eliminated with the last period.

|