Question: PREP-Test

nancyJona - Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi there...
Im in a really depressive situation and I hoped u could help me.
Im a 22y old, 1.65m tall, 50kg from Greece.
I did a prep-test and these are my results:

Glucose (Random)
5.57 mmol/L
100.3 mg/dL

Thyroid Profile
FT3: 3.41pmol/L
FT4: 15.94pmol/L
TSH:1.78uIU/mL

Prolactin
19.78 ng/mL

FSH
10.13 mIU/mL

Leuteinizing Hormone
6.64 mIU/mL

Estradiol:
320 pg/mL

Progesterone
0.340 ng/mL

TPHA
non-reactive

Syphilis TP (line Immunoassay)
non-reactive

Anti-TOXO (IgG)
Negative (0.282 IU/mL)

Anti-TOXO (IgM) Elisa
Negative (0.104)

Rubella IgG
Negative (< 0.170 IU/mL)

Cytomegalo Virus (CMV-IgM)
grayzone

Hb = 12.0 g/dl (reference range= 12.7 - 14.7 g/dl)
MCH = 27.7 pg (r.r. = 28.4 - 32.0 pg)
MCHC = 30.9 g/dl (r.r. = 32.6 - 34.8 g/l)

I am not pregnant, but I would like to have a baby soon.. please help me and explain to me my situation and what I am supposed to do now...is there anything wrong with me, i've heard many different opinions. What can I do about my hormone status and this "Cytomegalo Virus" that's in the grayzone and all of these negative results that are not within the reference range?...what does all of this mean? My doctor disappeared and never explained me anything...please help me and don't leave this request unanswered.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 25, 2009 11:25 am

User avatar Hello
Lab results cannot be interpreted when they stand alone like this. They are part of the whole diagnostic and health picture and when considered along with physical exam and history, then compared to lab reference ranges, which vary with each lab, they can help the doctor to come to conclusions. It is the responsibility of your doctor to explain the test results to you, including why he/she ordered them, what they mean to you, if they are significant or not.

It is possible your doctor didn't go into detail because he/she felt things were in a normal enough range to not be of concern. Some doctors are of the camp that believes "no news is good news" and expects you to know that too. Of course that doesn't mean you don't want an explanation and his/her bedside manner could definitely use some help.

I would recommend scheduling another appointment specifically for the explanation. Let's assume your doctor was rushed on that particular day. Give him/her a chance to do it right now by allowing adequate time for the consultation. When you schedule, tell the front desk staff that you need a consultation appointment to discuss your labwork and preconception planning. Once scheduled, there is no excuse for not getting adequate explanation from the doctor.

If this does not work, take the lab copies and get a second opinion in the form of a preconception visit with an OB/GYN who can explain how the test results would affect your pregnancy. Everything may be just fine. It is wise to be certain.

Usually grey zone just means something is inconclusive and if it is important, a second test may be run. These tests are often used to determine if you have antibodies. This could mean a previous infection; not necessarily current.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping to be able to get. As I said, lab results really don't stand alone and it is impossible to just pick up a lab report and get a diagnosis or health analysis. Many people feel we should be sophisticated enough in this technological society that all disorders should be identified through blood testing, but it's just not that simple.

|