News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: effects of external pressure on ovaries?

happyasa - Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Hello,

I received a massage two weeks ago to help release spasms in my psoas muscles. In the course of the sustained, deep pressure on my ilio-psoas muscles, I felt a distinct sharp pain that did not feel like it was related to the muscle she was working on. Looking back, I think the massage therapist may have been pressing deeply on my ovaries (yes, on both sides). I was sore for a few days and that went away so thought that I was fine. What hasn't gone away is a deep sluggishness. And, I've had a low grade fever for over a week.

I have several related questions:
Could the fever could be related to the external pressure on my ovaries?
What questions should I be sure to ask when I go get this checked out? I'm seeing my family doctor tomorrow.
Could the ovarian tissue have gotten damaged?
How do I ascertain if any damage happened?

Many thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not expect for you to have damage, however, if the therapist pressed too hard in the area of the ovaries, it could cause pain, especially if you have ovarian cysts. It is generally recommended that this area be avoided with massage when you have a diagnosed condition such as PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). There is a technique in the area of reproductive massage where it is believed to help by improving blood flow to the organs.

Fever is usually the result of infection and trauma, if that's what it is, would not manifest itself with signs of infection. You could have something else going on, related to ovaries or some other organ such as appendix, bowel, bladder, ureters, etc.

If you continue to have pain, you should have this checked out.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here