Question: effects of external pressure on ovaries?

happyasa - Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:49 pm

I received a massage two weeks ago to help release spasms in my psoas muscles. In the course of the sustained, deep pressure on my ilio-psoas muscles, I felt a distinct sharp pain that did not feel like it was related to the muscle she was working on. Looking back, I think the massage therapist may have been pressing deeply on my ovaries (yes, on both sides). I was sore for a few days and that went away so thought that I was fine. What hasn't gone away is a deep sluggishness. And, I've had a low grade fever for over a week.

I have several related questions:
Could the fever could be related to the external pressure on my ovaries?
What questions should I be sure to ask when I go get this checked out? I'm seeing my family doctor tomorrow.
Could the ovarian tissue have gotten damaged?
How do I ascertain if any damage happened?

Many thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:49 pm

I would not expect for you to have damage, however, if the therapist pressed too hard in the area of the ovaries, it could cause pain, especially if you have ovarian cysts. It is generally recommended that this area be avoided with massage when you have a diagnosed condition such as PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). There is a technique in the area of reproductive massage where it is believed to help by improving blood flow to the organs.

Fever is usually the result of infection and trauma, if that's what it is, would not manifest itself with signs of infection. You could have something else going on, related to ovaries or some other organ such as appendix, bowel, bladder, ureters, etc.

If you continue to have pain, you should have this checked out.

|