News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Recently stopped pill, could i be pregnant?

sparkly - Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 am

I stopped the pill microgynon on 25th march. My husband and i have been having unprotected sex since last saturday 25th april and i have had what i assume is my withdrawal bleed from sunday 26th to wednesday 29th . my husband and i are in our late 20's,we do not drink alcohol or smoke. what is the posibility that i am pregnant? we are trying, and how long do i have to wait to take a pregnancy test? thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 12:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
If I understand this question correctly, you have had sex in an effort to become pregnant for approximately one week and want to know when you can determine if you become pregnant on this cycle.

Usually the home tests are reliable a week after you would have expected your period to start - sometimes a little sooner than a week. However, just coming off the pill, you can have some delay or irregularity of your cycle anyway so not having a period at the expected time may be simply an adjustment to the hormone change.

There is a certain amount of luck involved with pregnancy so it often takes several months of trying for pregnancy to be achieved. In fact 85% of women in your age range who are trying to conceive will do so within a year but until that time has passed, it would not be considered something to examine for infertility concerns. In other words, chances are it will happen in a year without any intervention other than having sexual intercourse regularly. Especially significant days would be day 9 through 18 or so of your cycle when fertility is most likely. Anytime you miss a period you can take the test and greatest reliability would be at least one week into the missed period days.

Good luck
 mjmoorle - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:36 am

I stopped taking my pills about 5 weeks ago. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex around cycle day 14. My period is now a week late. I have taken home tests, but they've all come back negative. What is going on?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
You have not indicated when you took the home pregnancy test but I would suggest taking one a week after you missed your period and repeating weekly as long as you don't get your period. When you go off the pill, you may find your cycle to be altered a bit so if you are not pregnant it is likely just the hormonal adjustment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here