Question: Extreme pain after urination (for 11 years)

lauravasic - Fri May 01, 2009 11:55 pm

For 11 years now, I have had extreme pain after urinating. I've 'upped' my consumption of water but it still hurts. When this first began to happen, I told my doctor about it and she just told me to use a 'barrier' cream. So I did and it worked for a few years. But now the cream has stopped working and other symptoms have popped up. The pain after urination occurs every time I use the bathroom and sometimes when I don't use the bathroom. There is also swelling and unbelievable shooting pains in the urethra area when I insert a tampon or any pressure is applied to the area. I, of course, told my new doctor about this but he told me it was all due to a yeast infection and gave me a very expensive medication to use. This medication did nothing. All of my symptoms are still happening and if anything, they are happening more often and worse. Could this be a urinary tract infection? Or something else? I'm trying to get a gynecologist, to see if he/she can find the solution to my problem. Is this the right move or should I see a urologist?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 pm

You may be having bladder spams or urethritis, which can be caused by bacteria, trauma, irritants such as soaps or other products such as spermicides or lubricants, sexually transmitted infections, transfer of germs from the rectal area to the urethra due to hygiene habits and just close proximity. Some people develop chronic infection and require maintenance-dose antibiotics to keep it in check.

In some cases there are medications such as SSRI antidepressants and gabapentin which can be helpful in herpes-type nerve pain.

Either type of doctor can be helpful in finding the cause of your pain. The important thing is to get a thorough evaluation.

|