News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: iron allergy...

vvs - Sat May 02, 2009 2:54 am

Hello,
i m 23 yrs old female.
im having iron allergy since my birth.
i want to know if i still have the allergy.
i can have iron from natural food but not from pills or any medicine..
please let me know if there is any solution to this..
will the allergy affect my pregnancy?
if yes are there any substitute medicine for iron tablets
thanks a lot in advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 12, 2009 7:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
The allergy should not affect your pregnancy except for preventing a supplemental iron tablet. You can get good iron from foods such as meat (pork, beef, poultry, fish), enriched whole grains (cream of wheat, oats), beans, vegetables (especially spinach, peas and lentils), vegetables (especially apricots and raisins), and molasses. You can enhance absorption by taking these foods with vitamin-C enriched foods such as orange juice, grapfruit, cantalopue and green peppers. Most women become somewhat anemic with pregnancy since they make 1/3 more blood at that time. The blood is a bit "watered down" so the iron concentration is decreased. Improving your diet in this way should help, especially if you start being attentive to your diet right from the start; not waiting until you are anemic. Iron tablets are only necessary if you don't get enough from food sources so you can do fine without them. You should take a daily multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate or folic acid. If the iron in the vitamin bothers you, just as supplemental iron does, you can get one without minerals - only containing vitamins.

Good luck with your plans.
 vvs - Wed May 13, 2009 3:44 am

Hello Madam,
I am very grateful to you.
You relived me from the tension that i had since long time....
Thanks a lot again.
God bless you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 16, 2009 12:49 am

User avatar You are welcome.

Good luck with your future plans.

Take care

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here