Question: bumps on the end of labia minora

jozmooch - Sat May 02, 2009 1:46 pm

My labia minora is quite large... if i am standing, it hangs down past the outer labia. Recently, Ive noticed that there are two bumps on the end of the minora, and they are irritated - my guess is from rubbing against my underwear. The bumps are small, and they are not under the skin. They are the same color as the labia minora, and they hang off, attached by a thin strip of skin. Originally, there was just one, but now there is a second, and it is painful to touch.
Are they cysts? STD? Cancer?! Help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:28 pm

It is possible you could have cysts, clogged sweat glands, Molluscum contagiosum (viral infection that causes wart-like growths) or even genital warts so, yes, it could be sexually transmitted. You will need to have it checked out to see if it is a benign condition or something infectious that should be treated. Sometimes it is a simple "skin tag" like you might find any place on the body - commonly appearing on the neck.

As for the size - this varies with women, some believe with increased sexual arousal. In African tribes it is noted to be prominent. If it bothers you, interferes with clothing or your sex life, there is cosmetic surgery that is done to reduce the size of the labia minora.

Best wishes

|