Question: laparoscopic surgery bilateral salpingectomy

NeutronFish - Sat May 02, 2009 10:22 pm

My questions relate to a laparoscopic surgery bilateral salpingectomy:
1. Should the doctor have needed to create 2-3 inch (5-8cm) incisions on the left and right sides of the bikini line?
2. How much of the fallopian tubes should be left, connected to the uterus, after the procedure?
3. What is the probability of a ectopic pregnancy after the procedure?
Thank you for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Often this is performed with a "belly button" incision, using laparascopic procedures. Not knowing the reason for your salpingectomy, I can't say the reason it was done as it was. I would consult with the surgeon who performed it to learn the reasons. There is not a standard amount of tube to be left and if the procedure was done for sterilization, there are different methods used. Pregnancy is very unlikely following such method but is possible and if it occurs, there is an increased risk of ectopic. I'm afraid I can't tell you what the exact rate or risk is.

I hope this helps.

|