News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: I'm unable to wear tampons, could this be serious?

Far782 - Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 am

First of all, I would like to say thank you in advance. I didn't really know who I could ask about this.

I normally use pads because I can't seem to use tampons. I have tried several times over the last year or so to wear them, different types, sizes, applicators, methods of placement, etc. but I cannot stand to keep one in. It's extremely uncomfortable, and I have to take them out. My mom just told me that I must not be putting it in far enough, but I don't see how and I've followed the diagrams, used a mirror, etc. I'm nineteen years old, I've never had a pelvic exam, and I am still a virgin. The last couple times I tried I became nauseous and a bit dizzy after inserting it, which made me start to worry that this might not be normal. Could this be a sign of something seriously wrong?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is possible you could have an intact hymen that is making it difficult to insert anything into the vagina. It is also possible that you have an involuntary muscle constriction (vaginismus) that makes the opening seem too small or tight for tampon use.

There are treatments for this so if you anticipate becoming sexually active you would want to discuss it with a health care professional who could do a pelvic exam to determine if you need a minor surgical procedure to separate the hymen, which in most cases occurs spontaneously.

Aside from this, learning to relax these muscles may make a difference. If you are really wanting to use tampons instead of pads, seeing a doctor sooner might be worthwhile. It is not unusual for young women to have difficulty getting a proper tampon insertion that should not be noticeable once it is in place. It takes practice getting the "feel" of it on insertion.

You are wise to use small size tampons and you may even want to add a lubricant as you learn to use this product. If that doesn't help, seeing a doctor is the best plan.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here