Question: peritubal adhesion and chances for natural pregnancy

mino - Mon May 04, 2009 1:47 am

hi, i'm 30 years old, married 2 and half years ago and had no sex life before.We used the safe period for contraception the first 1 & 1/2 years, have been trying since then(almost six months).My doc asked me for a hormonal profile at first which showed i have a low progesteron, so he suggested clomid, took it for 6 months(50 mg a day, on the 3rd day of the period and for 5 days), and chorimon injection for 3 months but no chance.Then he asked me to do a hystrosalpingography which showed everything was alright but there was a "mild left sided peritubal adhesion", the doctor now is advicing me to have the artificial insemination.Do i have no chance to be naturaly pregnant?If not, is there a way to remove this adhesion?And will it be effective or will i go for the artificial insamination better?I trust my doc but i need a second opinion,it all happened so fast as soon as we decided to have a baby, so i'm a little worried to find out all of this.Please advise me.

mino
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 am

This problem alone would not result in infertility since only one ovary and tube are needed to conceive naturally. I suspect your doctor is offering what he/she knows is available in the artificial reproductive technology arena. I'd say if there aren't other complicating factors that you could just be patient and wait a bit longer. In normal circumstances it can take up to a year to become pregnant (about 85% of those desiring it do so during that time frame).

If there are other problems besides such as sperm problems, that might push the scale toward the artificial method side.

Good luck in your efforts.

|