Question: weird nipples

arianejane - Mon May 04, 2009 2:41 am

im 17 and my nipples look weird... they are cracked or split into two, so my nipples are cut in the middle horizontally is that normal? and to add to that there is white dry stuff in the crack of the nipples...and im NOT pregnant is everything okay?

and my left boob is bigger than the right one and just the left nipple area gets itchy, what should i do?

thank you in advance for answering
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Nipples often have crevices normally and size discrepancy is also common. It is possible to get yeast infection in this area - fairly common in breastfeeding. You may also have eczema in this area (atopic dermatitis) or dry, sensitive skin. Avoid soap on the nipples and if it continues you may wish to see a dermatologist for appropriate treatment in case of some infection, possibly an antifungal cream if it is due to yeast. If it is dry skin you might benefit from a thick hydrating cream such as Cetaphyl or Eucerin.

|