News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Stopped birth control, no period for 3 months, negative hpts

leebugs - Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 am

Hi,

I stopped taking my birth control at the end of the pack around the end of Jan/beginning of Feb 09 and got my normal withdrawal period on Feb 4, 2009. Since that time, I have had no signs of a period. I am pretty sure I have not had sex since that time (only made out with someone one time), and have taken approximately 11 hpt's (the first taken in mid April, shortly after 2 missed periods, and the most recent taken this morning), all of which have been negative. Can you provide any insight/guidance as to what may be going on? Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:30 am

User avatar Hello,
Most women experience period irregularities at some point in their lives and it is especially common following a change in oral contraceptives. You may not be ovulating so the hormones are not triggering a period. There are other conditions such as thyroid or pituitary disorders that can cause this, as well as just hormonal fluctuation, a high rate of vigorous exercise or being underweight. If this continues, I would see a doctor for a workup to rule out such problems. There may be no evident cause still, but it is important to find out in case there is something going on that might be easily corrected, such as with hormone treatment.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here