News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal Vaginal Hair growth?

travellingpotato - Mon May 04, 2009 9:59 am

For almost 2 years I have been having what seems to be PH balance issues. I've never in my life had a yeast infection and I am in a long distance relationship so only sexually active about twice a year for a total of two months. It has been on and off dryness, redness, irritation and white-ish creamy discharge. I wear cotton underwear, shower on a regular basis and trim but never shave my vaginal hair. The discharge appears only on what I guess is referred to as the Labia Menora or inner lips and not around the vaginal opening. Last year I was seen by my regular doctor and he recommended using a yeast infection treatment (Zazole) to try to rebalance. I refused to use it, as I felt it was silly to subject myself to unnecessary antifungals if there was no actual infection. When I noticed the change, I has also undergone major life changes. I became vegan and moved to a more humid and hot climate. I thought it would just take time to adjust but it has been two years. When I first started noticing the dryness, discharge and itching I also noticed excess hair. I have normal hair growth on the outer lips, the moving inward toward the clitoris, a bald patch on the inner lips and then further inward, maybe on the middle of the inner lip I have another strip of hair on both sides. I don't remember this hair being here before and I was wondering if it was normal and maybe the cause of my symptoms. The area of the hair growth seems the be the most irritated spots and when I keep it very shortly trimmed the irritation seems to be less. If it is a possible cause... are the methods of removing this hair permanently?

Thank you very very much for your time. You don't know what it means to me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:56 pm

User avatar Hello,
This hair growth does occur in some women, though it would not be considered "normal." If it bothers you, laser hair removal would be the method of choice and would result in permanent hair removal.

It seems if you are having itching, trying the antifungal treatment would be worth it and would probably not make anything worse, while possibly helping the condition.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here