Question: Abnormal Vaginal Hair growth?

travellingpotato - Mon May 04, 2009 9:59 am

For almost 2 years I have been having what seems to be PH balance issues. I've never in my life had a yeast infection and I am in a long distance relationship so only sexually active about twice a year for a total of two months. It has been on and off dryness, redness, irritation and white-ish creamy discharge. I wear cotton underwear, shower on a regular basis and trim but never shave my vaginal hair. The discharge appears only on what I guess is referred to as the Labia Menora or inner lips and not around the vaginal opening. Last year I was seen by my regular doctor and he recommended using a yeast infection treatment (Zazole) to try to rebalance. I refused to use it, as I felt it was silly to subject myself to unnecessary antifungals if there was no actual infection. When I noticed the change, I has also undergone major life changes. I became vegan and moved to a more humid and hot climate. I thought it would just take time to adjust but it has been two years. When I first started noticing the dryness, discharge and itching I also noticed excess hair. I have normal hair growth on the outer lips, the moving inward toward the clitoris, a bald patch on the inner lips and then further inward, maybe on the middle of the inner lip I have another strip of hair on both sides. I don't remember this hair being here before and I was wondering if it was normal and maybe the cause of my symptoms. The area of the hair growth seems the be the most irritated spots and when I keep it very shortly trimmed the irritation seems to be less. If it is a possible cause... are the methods of removing this hair permanently?

Thank you very very much for your time. You don't know what it means to me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:56 pm

This hair growth does occur in some women, though it would not be considered "normal." If it bothers you, laser hair removal would be the method of choice and would result in permanent hair removal.

It seems if you are having itching, trying the antifungal treatment would be worth it and would probably not make anything worse, while possibly helping the condition.

|