News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: No Period Since Stopping BCP

ashlusk - Mon May 04, 2009 3:27 pm

I stopped taking the pill in Febuary and have not had a period since. I always had a normal period until about 5 months before I started BCP i did not have a period due to excercising a lot and losing weight. I do not do much cardio anymore and have gained weight back. Why hasn't my period returned? Will it go back to normal now since I stopped excercising a lot?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
Exercising to excess can stop your periods, as will being underweight. It's probably because your body knows it would not be able to sustain a pregnancy when in a compromised state like that so ovulation often stops. It likely will resume in time but birth control pills are strong hormones that can disrupt your cycles. It often takes several months for them to resume normally. I would not be alarmed but you should be sure you are getting enough nutrition and that you are of a normal BMI.

If you have an eating disorder or any other condition, it is always wise to see a doctor for help. A general physical exam with blood work might not be a bad idea to be sure everything is healthy.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here