News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Switching Brands of Birth Control

quickquestion33 - Mon May 04, 2009 6:45 pm

I've been on Lutera (generic of Alesse) for 2 months now. I'm switching to Portia starting this month. When I was prescribed Lutera, the doctor said to wait 1 week (7 days) until I'd be protected. My question is, switching to Portia, how long until I am protected now? 1 week??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
If you continued on oral contraception with only the one week break most plans allow with either a placebo or pill-free period, then resumed with the new pill on the usual schedule you should not have to wait at all for protection to continue. The brand switch would not increase your chances of pregnancy.

Best wishes.
 quickquestion33 - Mon May 18, 2009 10:38 pm

A follow up question...
If I've started my new brand of birth control but am going out of town the week my period is scheduled, would it be bad to start my new pack in place of my placebo week to skip my cycle while being out of town? This would normally be OK, if not done frequently, I understand. But since this is my first month on this new pack of pills is the reason why I'm curious.

Thank you for your time and answers.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here