News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Genetic Testing

Res4928 - Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 pm

I had my 16 week appointment today, I've gained 2lbs so far and the heartbeat was 155 today. I have a rare disease known as Coats Disease that slightly effects my vision along with two webbed toes and a short thumb. My Dr. wants me to get genetic testing done next week and now I am so nevous. Are these things really something to be conserned about and what exactly could be the issues. I have no family history of mental retardation or any miscarrages. Please Help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 6:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
It has generally been accepted that this is not a genetic disease, though some studies have suggested the possibility. I'm not sure what good genetic testing would do because the condition does not put your fetus in danger, needing some intervention at delivery or other reason to try and discover the cause. If you prefer not to have the testing, it should be your decision. I see no compelling reason for expensive testing of limited value. Perhaps you could ask your doctor what findings might be beneficial. If you are not satisfied of the need, feel free to refuse.

I hope you are able to enjoy your pregnancy without being overly concerned about the potential for problems. As you have learned yourself, these things are manageable and hopefully one day there will be a cure.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here