News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Genital HSV-1 or HSV-2? Symptoms?

Kate08 - Wed May 06, 2009 8:33 am

I recently went to my gynecologist for my annual check-up and was told I was exhibiting signs of Herpes. My doctor discovered nearly-healed lesions inside my vagina; however, I had only experienced slight itching (if any) within the week prior to my visit. Is this normal to have very little symptoms? Also, I have only been with one partner, who I have been dating for over a year. I have never had any sexual contact with anyone other than him; however, he has not exhibited any signs of herpes before, and acquired his first cold sore (in his mouth) a couple of weeks ago (we did have oral sex). I have always had cold sores, and believe in kissing him, may have passed those on to him, while he, in turn, passed it on to me genitally. However, when I read about the subject, it seems HSV-1 is highly unlikely to be passed to the genitals of someone who already has HSV-1 infections (I've had cold sores of the mouth all my life), as they have built up immunity. I'm terribly confused, and my doctor will be testing cultures to see which HSV it is (though there is a possibility she won't be able to, as the sores were healing over). What is the likelihood it is not HSV-1 and not HSV-2, and how could I get HSV-2 from a partner who has never exhibited any signs of it (he was in a 7 year monogamous relationship before me, though his ex cheated)?

Sorry about the long post.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 21, 2009 9:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is a very confusing infection and it can be difficult to identify the exact type and mode of transmission. For both types 1 and 2, at least two-thirds of infected people have no symptoms (could be this way with your boyfriend), or symptoms that are so mild they don't notice (as might be the case with you if indeed this is what you have). Both types can recur and spread even when no symptoms are present.

How well your immune system functions can affect the way this infection acts. Over time it tends to be less of a problem and recurrences may be quite rare so even an earlier infection could seem to disappear. While the possibility exists, recurrence is very rare when it is not in its preferred site (i.e. HSV-1 as genital infection and HSV-2 as oral infection).

You are correct that once you have HSV-1 orally, you are less apt to get either infection because of immunities your body built up. You may never know exactly how this came about and in many people it is no more of a problem than an occasional cold sore. I wouldn't worry too much about knowing how and why. If you truly have infection there is nothing you can do about it now and if it isn't causing you pain or interfering with your life, why stress about it?

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here