Question: Vulvodynia- Does clothing really matter?

Isolated - Fri May 08, 2009 12:35 am

I have recently been diagnosed with vulvodynia after many months and many doctors and specialists. All along I have been told to only wear white cotton panties or go commando. Now with this diagnosis, I am wondering if it is ever ok to wear synthetic fabrics such as those in a swimsuit. I am supposed to go to the beach in 3 weeks and cannot find a cotton swimsuit anywhere. Is a regular suit ok as long as I change out of it quickly if I swim? I know I shouldn't walk around in it wet after swimming. If this isn't ok, are there any other suggestions on this? I would like to try to live as normally as possible in spite of the condition.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Yes, you should be fine for temporary periods of time. You are correct that cotton swimsuits are difficult to find. The stretch from synthetics such as spandex are what we like about suits and allow the movement without losing shape. This is important so a market for an all-cotton suit would not be big enough for manufacturers to pursue. just do the best you can.

|