News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Confused With Test

kimr - Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:02 pm

After having a D&C and numerous tests done because of excessive, non-stop bleeding two years ago. I now have gone the opposite direction! No periods for 3-6 months then a spotting then nothing. Again, I have had tests done and nothing was found.
Tests include biopsy, pap smears, pregnancy tests, blood tests for thyroid, external and internal ultrasounds.. etc...I then convinced the Dr to do a hormone test for menopause. I was told I am definetly NOT menopausel. Yet no period or only spotting..brownish usually. I am 43 yo. I am 5'7" and weigh approx 147. So I am not thin. I am not an athlete. I have bouts of sleeping difficulties. Cravings for sweets.
I also within this time period of no-bleeding or spotting, developed what my Dr is calling colitis. Yet an colonoscopy found only 3 polyps( which were removed) My symptoms for this is pain/pressure feeling of something pushing under left rib cage. Bloody stools occasionally. Symptoms seem worse around time period should be starting. Colonoscopy was relatively pain free, except for one polyp. It hurt terribley, this is the area that is constantly bothering me under left rib.
My question is how can I have normal hormone level, but no period or only spotting? Can my rib pain(colitis?) be the cause of having no period?
Shouldn't the colonoscopy shown the colitis?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:18 pm

User avatar Hi there,
Lets concentrate on the causes of your amenorrhea first. To answer your question: Yes it is possible to have normal hormone levels and get ammenorhea. At this stage if your FSH and LH levels are normal or low you should get a head MRI to exclude pituitary or hypothalamic disease.
If your MRI turns out normal then you can start excluding causes such as chronic disease, anorexia nervosa, marijuana or cocaine use, athleticism, or psychosocial stress.
 kimr - Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:56 pm

You stated to have MRI done to rule out pituitary or hypothalamic disease.
I believe after one of my many tests I had asked about the possibility of having pituitory disease or hypothalamic disease. I was told thyroid blood tests would show this and I did have thyroid blood work done with supposedly normal results. Although, I think this is kinda strange do to the fact I tend to exhibit other hypothyroid symptoms. Which is why various Drs have requested I have a throid blood test done.
My question would thyroid blood work show pituitary/hypothalamic disease?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:01 am

User avatar Actually what I said is if your FSH and LH levels are normal or low you should get a head MRI to exclude pituitary or hypothalamic disease. Let me help you with this please write down the results of the following: FSH, LH, Prolactin and your TSH tests with their corresponding normal values as stated in the test report.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here