News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: scan revealed ENLARGED FOLLICLES what does this mean

sadmo38 - Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 pm

i have had severe paid during my periods since they started when i was 12, 7yrs ago. My doctor sent me for a scan. The results sent back to my doctor said that I have 'enlarged follicles in left ovary'. The doctor sais that he does not know what this means and I need to go back to the gynecologist to ask. I cannot get an appointment for at least 3 months. I am very worried about what it might mean.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
Enlarged follicles are typically temporary conditions which occur with hormonal variations in your body. There is a good chance that if you repeated the ultrasound, it would not be enlarged next time. At any rate, this is not an alarming finding so try to relax until you get to see your doctor for a full explanation in conjunction with history and physical examination, sometimes even lab work. Sometimes this condition occurs with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome diagnosed in 20% of the female population) or with hormonal contraceptive use. This term is actually a misnomer because there aren't actually cysts; just enlarged follicles they originally believed to be cysts.

While waiting for your appointment, write down all your questions so you won't forget to ask and record any symptoms you may be having.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here