News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Any chance for natural pregnancy with tubal adhesion

mino - Sat May 09, 2009 2:50 am

Hi, i'm 30 years,i've been married for 2 years now,we used the safe period method for contraception the first 16 months, and we've been trying to have a baby since then.As a start i went to the doc to make sure everything is ok, but my progesteron was 7.2 at first.He suggested clomid, took it for 5 months 5mg a day stating from the 3rd day from the period, and the level got higher to 11.5.He suggested the chorimon on the 14th day,took it for 3 months, and no chance.Then he asked me to do a hysterosalpingography, which showed i have a mild peritubal adhesion in the left tube.The doc then suggested the artificial insamination.It all happened so fast and i want to know if i have any chance of getting naturaly pregnant.Please give me an advise.
Thanks
Mino
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 1:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
One tube is adequate to achieve pregnancy if you ovulate. But, it is normal for it to take up to a year for this to happen because there is a bit of luck in it. An egg only lives 12 to 24 hours. Sperm can live up to about 72 hours inside the woman, so sex must occur just prior to or at the time of ovulation. Typically a women ovulates with alternate ovaries - one this month; the other the next. So, even if you had one totally blocked tube, the other should be enough for your to conceive naturally.

You are in an age range where pregnancy is likely (85% will become pregnant within the year), you do not need to fear the biological clock yet, so unless you feel you have lots of money you don't know what to do with, I would continue to work at pregnancy by the natural method. Have regular , unprotected sexual intercourse without any contraceptives, at least every other day during typical fertile days - as often in addition to that as you wish. You never know which one might be successful. Some women are able to track their vaginal secretions which often change with ovulation. Having sex during this time increases your odds of pregnancy. Some people advocate lying for a time after sex to allow gravity to do its work too (as opposed to jumping up to use the bathroom, etc). Even if it takes you a little longer than a year with just one open tube, it is still very possible it will eventually happen.

I feel IVF is kind of a last-ditch effort after all the traditional methods have failed. Patience is on your side here. Good luck.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here