Question: Extremely light periods after miscarriage, need I worry?

Nanali - Sat May 09, 2009 4:11 am

Hi there.

I am 23 years old and had a miscarriage (at 10 weeks) and D&C four months ago. Everything went well and my doctor was very happy.

I have always had very heavy periods (35 day cycle, 7 day menstruation period - with heavy, dark red blood, no clots though) and very bad cramping - sometimes I could not walk because of the cramping as well as heavy, extremely tender breasts. For the last 2 cycles, I have had extremely light periods (2 days of brown spotting, then 2 days of a light pink discharge, and 2 days of brown spotting) and absolutely no cramps or heavy tender breasts!

I am not on any birth control at the moment as we want to try to conceive again. The first period after the D&C was relatively normal - 7 days with dark red blood but again with no cramping or breast tenderness.

Do I need to worry about the light periods I have been getting the past 2 cycles, or is my body still adjusting from the miscarriage? And if so, how long can it take before everything goes back to normal?

And, in the current state my body is in, is it possible for me to conceive?

Thank you for reading!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 12, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm sorry about your loss and wish you luck in conceiving again soon.

As far as a woman's cycle goes, there's really no such thing as normal. What is typical for you at 22 will not be the same at 30 or 35 or 40. Hormones vary throughout a woman's life and events such as childbirth often affect her cycle. Many women who had terrible cramping prior to having children suddenly do not after giving birth. We don't know why but we do know it is normal to see changes with such events.

You do not need to worry if you have fewer symptoms with your periods. It does not suggest any kind of problem.

|