News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: MISSED PERIOD due to Conception or IRON deficieny?

dim - Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 am

Dear Doctor,
last month i had intercourse during 1st day of my period,(suffered lot of pain/cramps afterwards). now its bn over 15 days since my normal period date & i did not have period. im anxious as if im pregnant! as im not married & don't wish to conceive now. i was detected for THYROID 6 months earlier and i was on medicine for same alongwith folic acid medicine as i was also having IRON DEFICIENCY. Discontinued these since last 3 months.

So i wud like to know if my MISSED PERIOD is due to iron deficiency in my body or is it because i might be pregnant ? however i have taken pregnancy test 3 times bt it has come negative always. shud i wait for my next period date or go for sonography ? please advice..
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:44 am

User avatar Hello,
Having sex while on your period is a relatively safe time for it since it is the least likely time of the month that you might ovulate. This fact, along with three tests give me confidence you are not pregnant. There are other hormonal disorders (pituitary, thyroid) that can affect your period as well as endometriosis, ovarian cysts, etc. Many women randomly miss a period or more than a few in their lives just due to hormonal fluctuation, not ovulating, or they could be stressed - physically or emotionally.

You can probably just watch and wait on this one.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here