Question: Dysmenorrhea and now amenorrhea!

Confused by my body - Mon May 11, 2009 1:29 am

Hi
I am 44, have 3 grown-up children, and until last month I used to suffer very badly from Dysmenorrhea, so badly that I used to worry I would collapse from blood loss whilst at work. Dysmenorrhea for approx past two years.

I visited Dr who referred me to hospital for ultrasound scan (with view to then inserting hormonal IUD to help combat my heavy bleeding. However, at time of scan my period was one week late. Ultrasound scan showed no pregnancy (which wasn't likely anyway), it also showed only minor fibroids and no other cause for concern.

Following week I visited Dr for results, still no period. Dr did pregnancy test, said that was negative and that I should wait for my period to start, then make appointment for IUD fitting. Blood tests I had a month ago showed normal levels for my thyroid, no anemia, no diabetes, and normal levels of hormone (i.e. I am not going through the menopause)

Now my period is nearly FOUR weeks late! I have had period pains every day for four weeks, but with no bleeding. Yesterday I had such heavy cramps that I needed painkillers, and I bulked myself up with sanitary towel as I was CERTAIN it was about to start and the floodgates would open! However, still no period!

Is it at all possible that I could be pregnant: even though ultrasound scan showed no pregnancy and Dr did pregnancy test which was negative?

Little bit more about me: I am 44, obese, heavy alcohol consumption,underactive thyroid (50mcg levothyroxine per day), prozac 20mg per day. Periods always regular every 26-28 days cycle until now!

A pregnancy would be very welcomed by myself and my husband, but it looks highly unlikely as we used condoms, and in the past have tried for a baby without success.

I would very much appreciate some feedback on this from fellow-sufferers and professionals alike, as I am concerned as to what is going on!!!

Thank you in advance,
Sue
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:45 am

You could be entering peri-menopause - a period of sometimes several years prior to menopause when you start to experience cycle irregularities. This happens to many women at this time - even those with previous predictable cycles. I would not be alarmed and with condom use you are probably not pregnant.

I am curious - if you tried for a baby and would welcome one, why are you using contraception? Have you decided against this possibility? I only ask because if you wanted a child and might be approaching menopause, this would be a good time to try.

|