News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Epidural during childbirth

babyjjane - Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:44 pm

Hi, I am 23 weeks pregnant and I am thinking about opting for an epidural for coping with labor pain. I heard that epidural does not work for every one and a person cannot use epidural if she has had a back problem. I had a tailbone injury like 15 years ago. I did NOT have any surgery but only took anitbiotics and pain killers for relief. My question is: can I use epidural and will it be effective for me? Under what circumstances when epidural does not work for a woman during childbirth?

Thank you so much for your time.
 Shelly S, RN - Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:16 pm

You should be fine to receive an epidural. The epidural works well for many women while in labor. At times, there can be issues with an epidural not working, but usually this does not occur. Some things that could cause this to happen would be inproper placement, or in some rare cases the epidural could be pulled out of place. Given your history with your tailbone issue, I doubt that there would be an issue with you receiving the epidural. I think most women agree that it is a wonderful tool for coping with the pain of child birth. There will always be "horror stories" about any treatment, but I am sure you will be fine. Best of luck with the new baby.

Shelly, ORT, SN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here