Question: Pain during Intercourse

ANH124423 - Tue May 12, 2009 1:20 pm

I am 21 years old and I have been having deep pain, along with a swelling sensation in my vaginal canal during intercourse for the past year. I have seen a gynecologist and she thought all my symptoms were endometriosis. She did a Laparoscopy and found nothing. She wants me to go see a GI specialist now and if they don't find anything she wants to try hormone replacements. I just don't think that what is wrong with me has anything to do with my GI. I have the pain during intercourse, but also have hot flashes,and painful sometimes irregular periods. To me I have most the symptoms of endometriosis. I have read so many things that could be wrong with me and none of them have mentioned anything to do with a GI problem. I just want to know if there is any advice or any thing that you might think could be wrong with me. I am desperate at this point, I haven't even been able to have sex for a year now with my own husband!!!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:37 pm

A year is definitely too long for you to wait for help. I would seek a second opinion with another gynecologist since you feel confident it is not GI related. Of course you could try hormone therapy but whenever you are uncomfortable with one doctor's suggestion you should look further until you are feeling confident and comfortable with your provider. Usually second opinions are welcomed and not every doctor is right for every woman.

I can't tell you what is causing the pain but you should continue to seek help as this should be something that could be treated effectively. Normally endometriosis is diagnosed through laparascopic surgery - the only way to be absolutely certain of the diagnosis.

Good luck in your quest for the right doctor or CNM.

Best wishes

|