News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Chronic Ovarian Cysts with Pain and CA hx

aellevans - Tue May 12, 2009 7:51 pm

When I was 16 yo my pediatrician discovered a very large cyst on my left ovary. I was immediately rushed for a diagnostic laparotomy because they were afraid that it was malignant. The surgeons removed a 10 liter mass. The cyst was simple in nature just very large. After recovering from that I have had to go every six months to a year for ultrasounds. Everytime they find a larger than normal cystic ovary. Some cysts have burst, some have colapsed.
The sx subsided when I became pregnant with my daughter and I was in the clear for two years after I had her. Now, I have been followed since January with several ultrasounds where they have discovered cysts on both of my ovaries, again the same--bursting, pain ect.
Now, I have a 6cm cyst on the left ovary with "daughter" cysts inside it. The cyst is growing despite the three week treatment of Estriadol 1mg po qd. The Gyno. believed that would help.
Now she wants to schedule a diagnostic laporoscopy to look at the cyst and look for possible adhesions and check everything out.
I really don't want to go through that again. My question is is the surgery necessary or are there other ways to find out what is going on?
What could possible explain everything?
Why is this cyst significant?
And why does my gyno want me to see a geneticist?
Any input would be helpful.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:37 am

User avatar Hello,
These are questions that should be answered by your doctor who knows your test results, your symptoms and physical characteristics. If the doctor leaves you in the dark and does not answer your questions, she is remiss. It is part of her responsibility to make sure you understand the situation thoroughly - especially when talking about a surgical procedure. So, before you do anything else, I would advise you to schedule a consultation with your doctor with the sole intent of coming out of it with a better understanding of what is happening.

I don't know of an alternative to the surgery if the goal is find out what is causing your distress. Scans are somewhat limited in their usefulness.

I can't answer for her as to why she recommends a geneticist or believes this cyst is different from the others. Please discuss it with her.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here