Question: I am having irregular bleeding, burning urination, and lump

jojo555 - Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 am

I am having several problems all at once. I have been bleeding lightly on and off between periods. During this same time, I have had burning urination that comes and goes. The most worrisome is the hard lump that I have just noticed on the outside, just in front of, the vagina. It is about the size of a large grape. I have had thyroid cancer, so I am worried. I am 39, overweight, and a type 2 diabetic on lots of medications. Do you think this is something I really need to worry about or could it all be related to a urinary tract infection? I have not had sex in 5 years, so I don't think it's an STD and my last pap-smear was about a year and a half ago and it was normal. My paps have always been normal, dispite the fact that, for years, I have had a heavy discharge with a lot of odor. I would appreciate any information you could get me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:12 am

Urinary tract infections can result in blood from the urethra which might seem like it is coming from the vagina but I am not familiar with any condition where you get menstrual irregularity from a UTI. I would suggest you make an appointment with your doctor.

If I were to guess about the lump I might say it could be a Bartholin cyst - a sac that fills with fluid at the Bartholin glands which provide lubrication to the vagina. These are not common or harmful, but benign cysts that can be easily removed if home remedies don't help such as warm moist packs to the area or sitz baths. Your doctor could determine if this is the correct diagnosis but it will have to be through a physical exam to be sure.

|