Question: sex too soon after laparoscopic oophorectomy?

alexinohio - Wed May 13, 2009 6:25 am

I'm 20 years old, on 5/1/09 i had surgery to have an ovarian cyst that was leaking and twisting my ovary removed. the surgery went smoothly and i returned home the next day, and was off of my prescription pain meds (Percocet) in two days. I rested and followed all post-op instructions except...on Saturday when I went out to a party with my boyfriend and had a few too many to drink. We ended up having intercourse for only a few minutes, i was worried and made him stop,i was not in any pain whatsoever. My discharge instructions said not to have intercourse until my doctor says it is okay. I know it was way too soon and my doctor would never say it is okay at this point, and we haven't done it since then, but now i am really worried. I'm not in any real pain (I'm sore a bit in my belly and around my stitches but nothing serious) and feel pretty much fine, but i am worried. I had a bit of a brown discharge a few days ago, but i just started taking the pill, so it could be from that, and i haven't had any discharge since that day. Aside from minor soreness, i feel pretty much okay, so it is possible that i have ruined anything internally if i am not feeling any different? In any case, do i need to call my doctor to see him sooner?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:40 am

I doubt there would be any adverse effects from this. It is always recommended you refrain to prevent risk of infection or trauma but if you are symptom-free (pain, fever, swelling, excessive bleeding, etc), you are probably just fine. Abstinence during recovery is ideal but not so serious we would worry that you could have damaged anything internally.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

|