News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Stopping Vicodin while pregnant?

cindy2262003 - Fri May 15, 2009 8:25 am

I am a 26 year old female diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy a year ago who is currently 5 months pregnant taking 3-5 Vicodin ES daily. My OB is aware of the amount of Vicodin I am taking but kind of blew it off as being a problem. I am aware of the risk of the baby being addicted to the Vicodin if I continue taking it up to delivery. Ideally I would like to stop taking it prior to delivery. If I stop taking it cold turkey while pregnant is there a risk of the baby having withdrawls in utero? Should I be weaned off it to be safe?
Thank You.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:00 am

User avatar Hello,
I don't think anyone really knows if the baby may suffer from withdrawal symptoms in utero. Usually weaning is recommended in this case and I would begin now to decrease the amount of medication you use so you can be free of it for the past two months of pregnancy.

If your pain is too much I would suggest seeing a physical therapist or using some other alternative therapy such as acupuncture, chiropractic, pain clinic treatment or self-hypnosis.

Good luck and congratulations on your desire to help your baby to be healthy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here