Question: Persistant ovary/stomach pain. Bleeding after sex

Big Bertha - Sun May 17, 2009 1:25 pm

I am a 30 year old female with persistent ovary pain for 9 months after giving birth to my second child (normal delivery, placenta intact). I have the Mirena coil in (6 weeks post natal).

The pain is about 2 inches medial to my anterior superior iliac spine of my pelvis. It is moderate in intensity, constant and sometimes radiates up into my lower abdomen and also into the top of my thigh. It is worse when I am in a flexed position e.g sitting.

In the past few weeks I have noticed bleeding after sex, not straight after but in the day following. Very rarely have had a pink discharge, maybe 3 times in the past 9 months.

I have had a transabdominal ultrasound which showed my ovaries to have a polycystic appearance.

I am terrified that this could be ovarian cancer and I am awaiting a gyn appointment but it could take 3 months before I am seen. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for your response.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:55 pm

There are many women who have ovarian cysts which cause pain similar to your description. In most cases the cysts are not cancerous, especially in your age range. Often they resolve on their own. Try not to worry about it since your risk is quite low (unless you have a family history of ovarian cancer). Other risk factors include a diet high in fats, (such as animal fats - dairy and red meat), use of clomid for more than three cycles, early onset of menses (before age 12) and others.

This type of pain is so common in women your age, chances are you will be fine to wait for your appointment. While most cysts are not cancerous, your doctor will want to check to be absolutely certain so don't be alarmed if tests are ordered.

|