News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: First trimester placental detachment

Intuition - Mon May 18, 2009 5:47 pm

It is May 18th. I am 11 weeks pregnant. I have been feeling extremely nauseous, tired and have had breast tenderness throughout my pregnancy.
I had an ultrasound on Wednesday May 13th and everything was great-fetal heart rate was 173. The next day I felt a mild abdominal cramp and gushed approximately 100 mL's of bright red blood. I went in for an ultrasound and found out that my placenta is partially detached at both ends. The doctor told me there was nothing they could do and that the outcome could go either way.
Since then, I bled, saturating approximately 30-50% of a maxi-pad for two days. This morning I woke up with zero bleeding and an increase in energy. I feel fabulous- no nausea-no breast tenderness-and no bleeding. I basically do not feel pregnant anymore. I have a history of a previous miscarriage in May 2008.
What is the likelyhook of a miscarriage after a first trimester placental detachment?
 Barbara81906 - Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 am

I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through this... I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and I had a placental detachment right at 12 weeks had about the same bleeding as you... After we found out we had a dr appointment a few days later and they could still hear the heartbeat... did they see an active baby with a heart beat at your ultrasound that showed the partial detatchment? btw my placenta was 2/3 detatched so there could still be hope for you...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is true that this condition can be the beginning of the end, or it can heal over and result in a normal pregnancy. I'd say the odds are about 50/50. The fact that you don't feel pregnant now may not be a good sign, but since bleeding and cramping are not happening, it would suggest the opposite. It would take an ultrasound or an analysis of HCG levels over a few days to determine if you are still pregnant.

If you are not, you will need to monitor the miscarriage in case it is not complete and you need intervention. So, you probably will need to see a doctor about this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here