News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Fraternal twins from two dads

Roloand - Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm

I have been dating a woman for a while, but she is also in a long term relationship. She found out today, May 18th, that she is 6 weeks pregnant and her doctor believes she has twins. The last time I was with her was 5 weeks ago, April 17th. She had sex several time that week with her boyfriend in an effort to get pregnant. I'm worried because I've heard that Fraternal twins occurr when two eggs become fertilized and I was not sure if it is possible to become impregnated by two men several days apart.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
It would depend on the timing. Once an egg is released, there is only a short time for fertilization to occur. However, sperm can live a few days in a woman so if she had sex a few days before ovulation with one man and again at the time of ovulation with another, two eggs were released and each fertilized with different sperm, there is a possibility of this scenario you fear.

At this point you don't know if she is carrying one or two and if two, whether the babies are fraternal or identical. You will need to wait for more information so try not to stress too much until you know more.

Obviously if she has identical twins, the embryo divided after fertilization by one sperm. If the babies are fraternal the only way to definitely know would be through paternity testing after birth.

Good luck on this relationship. I hope you are able to work things out for the benefit of all concerned.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here