News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: thick mucousy brown discharge with bleeding

leekru - Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Forgive me if this is already answered. I did search for similar medical conditions, but found nothing that was like mine as I am not on birth control or struggling with any other issues.

I am 31 years old. I had a normal period on 29 Apr. A week after my period I started to experience pretty bad period-like cramps. A week later I began discharging mucousy, brown clot-like blood. It is a little smelly and very thick. It is not enough to use a tampon, but when I wipe after using the loo there is a lot of blood (not fresh, but not completely brown) and a few light pink drops on my underwear. This has been going on for over a week. I usually have very irregular periods, but more often they are anything from 4-8 weeks apart. This is not a proper period.

I had a baby in 2007 and am currently not using any hormonal contraception.

I am overweight, but have been losing weight since Jan this year. I have also started jogging.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
We don't usually worry about brown discharge, which just indicates old blood that was not completely evacuated with your period. Clots are also common when blood has pooled and variations like this occur with most people over the course of their reproductive years. Menstrual fluids consist of discarded tissue as well as blood as the body cleanses itself and replaces tissue. This is the normal process and hormonal changes (also normal fluctuation) can result in period irregularities, including mid-cycle bleeding. It would be the rare woman who consistently had completely predictable cycles.

Don't worry about it. Chances are after a few months things will be more typical of your pattern.

Congratulations on your efforts to get your body in a healthier place. Stay with the program. If you do have another child, being at a healthy weight will only improve your chances for success.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here