Question: Did eating a raw egg cause my miscarriage?

tamts2005 - Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 pm

I am 25 years old. I have been married for 2 years, and last month my husband and I became pregnant though we were not purposely trying. I did not realize I was pregnant until after I started having problems.

This is what happened:

On May 7th, I had a protein shake with a raw egg in it. Have never eaten raw eggs before, got the idea from a fitness forum I recently viewed. Later that evening I had some stomach cramping, but no diarrhea or nausea. At this time I had no idea that I was pregnant. The following day the cramping seemed to subside.

On May 9th, I drank another protein shake with raw egg in it. Cramping did not return until May 11th. Still no other symptoms of diarrhea and nausea or headache or fever. I think I was experiencing a little fatigue though.

The cramping got progressively worse until May 15th, when I went to a previously scheduled doctor's appointment. Complained of the cramps. A pregnancy test was done and came back positive.

May 16th-Spotting began. Pain immediately ended. Emergency room. First ultrasound done, and blood preg test. Was told something was not right b/c there was fluid in my abdomen. Doctors thought it was either ruptured ovarian cyst or tubal rupture. Empty sac was seen in uterus. May 17th- Fever, brown spotting. May 18th- First OB/GYN appointment. Was told that my preg hormone was dropping by half instead of doubling, and the pregnancy was failing. May 19th- began heavy (like menstrual) bleeding. Today (20th)- told that I was experiencing a miscarriage after 3-4 week uterine pregnancy.

My question: I did not have any symptoms or problems until after consuming the raw egg shakes. Did this cause the miscarriage?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately miscarriage is very common - some estimates are as high as 35% because many probably occur before the woman even knows she is pregnant. This makes it hard to determine actual statistics. In the vast majority of cases we never are able to determine the cause of the miscarriage. It is believed that in most cases there is a chromosomal abnormality which prevents the proper development and implantation of the embryo. Nature takes care of this through miscarriage. In most cases the women go on to achieve healthy pregnancies next time when things work out better for the developing baby.

While it is not recommended that you eat raw, unpasteurized eggs, regardless of pregnancy because of the risk of salmonella infection, in pregnancy it is even more significant because theoretically, it could contribute to the risk. However, considering the fact there was a sac without a growing embryo makes me think the cause was probably something different that prevented the normal growth, rather than infection causing the loss. This is just my suspicion, however. I doubt you could ever know for sure.

|