News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: To much iron for pregnant women??

Aaron28 - Wed May 20, 2009 6:11 pm

Hello,

My wife is almost 3 months pregnant. We visited the Health Department in our town when she was about 1 month and 1/2 pregnant. She was given a hemoglobin test in which came back good. The nurse gave her a multivitamin and an additional iron supplement, so she has been getting 165 grams of iron altogether.

She has been very sick..Extremely sick and I believe she has been given an iron overdose. She missed taking one of the iron pills and noticed she was feeling better, so she stopped taking the other iron pill and now just the multivitamin that just has 27mg of iron and she has been great.

I called the Health Department and the nurse said it was protocol to give the 165mg of iron. So my wife has been taking this amount of iron for over a month and now I am worried about her health and the health of the baby.

So how much iron for a healthy pregnant woman?
Could she possibly need this much with a good hemoglobin result?

I have read from mutiple sources including WebMD that 27mg is the needed dose in pregnant women.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 am

User avatar Hello,
It is not usual to give an iron supplement in the absence of anemia in pregnancy. The multivitamin has adequate amounts for most women and some anemia is normal in pregnancy anyway since the blood is greater in volume and hemoglobin is somewhat diluted. Many women have adverse reactions to supplemental iron so I think your wife is following her body's signals. I would only recommend iron supplements on advice of her OB based on lab values. She can also increase her iron through food sources and these don't have the absorption problems and side effects that supplements have.

It may not be a toxic dose, but even adverse reactions to the supplement can be enough of a problem.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here