Question: To much iron for pregnant women??

Aaron28 - Wed May 20, 2009 6:11 pm

My wife is almost 3 months pregnant. We visited the Health Department in our town when she was about 1 month and 1/2 pregnant. She was given a hemoglobin test in which came back good. The nurse gave her a multivitamin and an additional iron supplement, so she has been getting 165 grams of iron altogether.

She has been very sick..Extremely sick and I believe she has been given an iron overdose. She missed taking one of the iron pills and noticed she was feeling better, so she stopped taking the other iron pill and now just the multivitamin that just has 27mg of iron and she has been great.

I called the Health Department and the nurse said it was protocol to give the 165mg of iron. So my wife has been taking this amount of iron for over a month and now I am worried about her health and the health of the baby.

So how much iron for a healthy pregnant woman?
Could she possibly need this much with a good hemoglobin result?

I have read from mutiple sources including WebMD that 27mg is the needed dose in pregnant women.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 am

It is not usual to give an iron supplement in the absence of anemia in pregnancy. The multivitamin has adequate amounts for most women and some anemia is normal in pregnancy anyway since the blood is greater in volume and hemoglobin is somewhat diluted. Many women have adverse reactions to supplemental iron so I think your wife is following her body's signals. I would only recommend iron supplements on advice of her OB based on lab values. She can also increase her iron through food sources and these don't have the absorption problems and side effects that supplements have.

It may not be a toxic dose, but even adverse reactions to the supplement can be enough of a problem.

Good luck to you and your wife.

|