Question: Copper IUD removal

RiNa2009 - Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 pm

I inserted my copper IUD 15 years ago and it gives me no problems at all. My IUD was made In Finland, inserted in Europe and it is made for 12 years of use. When I asked one of my doctors whether it is time to replace it with another one, he told me there is no need to remove it AT ALL because "all they want is that you buy a new one." He said that in his practice he used to remove IUDs which were inserted 35 years ago, and they all were like new. So I do not remove it. Another doctor told me to day to remove my IUD and replace it with a new one because it is past 12 years, and I am in risk to get pregnant at any time. When I told her what my first doctor told me, she rolled her eyes and said that it is not true. Who should I believe? My IUD does not bother me, I feel very comfortable, no complications from day 1. I am afraid to replace it because the insertion can be unsuccessful sometimes. I do not want complications. What is your advice? I do not know who to believe. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:35 am

User avatar Hello
The presence of the IUD will continue to make your uterus hostile to implantation and pregnancy is not likely if you just keep it in, though your protection may not be quite as good. When expiration dates are specified, it is usually because testing has indicated that there is a decrease in effectiveness or an increase in other side effects once you pass that time frame. There is usually a little wiggle room in there but for the long term, it is best to follow the guidelines for your health. I would recommend having it replaced with a newer IUD, which also probably has other improvements over the older one as well.

|