News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: are supplements for menapause harmful to the liver

amac - Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

hi i am currently taking plant oestrogens, calcium and magnesium a multivit andsage supplement for menapausal symptoms. i am currently off hrt 8mnths . the flushes have returned . i am taking magnesium for restless legs. i am feeling better n thes supplements. though i still getting flushes. i was told today not to take these has they can give you liver disease. please help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:40 pm

User avatar Hello
It is difficult to assess this without knowing exactly what and in what dosages you are taking. Most of the vitamins and minerals you have mentioned are safe within the recommended daily doses, but other supplements such as plant estrogens are not regulated by the FDA; therefore we do not have a lot of data on their safety or effectiveness. Also because of the lack of regulation, amounts and purity can vary considerably between products so even if we know the brand name, etc. the active ingredients can have a wide variability.

If you prefer natural treatment for menopausal symptoms and the magnesium helps for RLS, and is still in the recommended dosage for adults (probably about 350 mg/day for adults), it should not cause problems for you. The hot flushes may resolve on their own eventually even if you don't supplement or replace hormones. Eating healthy foods and getting adequate exercise can help diminish symptoms.

Calcium dosing varies with the individual as well as the product used as some calcium is absorbed differently but the recommended dosage is around 900 to 2500 mg/day orally in 2 to 4 divided doses, which may be adjusted as needed to achieve a normal serum calcium level. You really should have your levels tested by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here