Question: Ripping of Vagina when having Sex.

piek123 - Thu May 21, 2009 7:17 pm

I am 19, and have had an implant in my arm (implanon) fitted for contraception.

i have been bleeding badly, but have got a bit better recently. i have been given the oral contraceptive pill to fix the problem on top of the implant; but have not started taking them yet as i have exams etc and i don't want them to adversely affect my performance in the exams due to personality changes etc.

what i would like to know is: i have a new boyfriend, and when we have had sex, it has been painful afterwards, and i have bled a bit- but not in the same place as before. it is more at the sides (he has quite a broad penis). what i would like to know is are the 2 problems linked??- will i bleed more/the tissue at the sides of the vagina be more fragile due to the implant as well? or has the previous, more menstrual bleeding made the tissue there weaker and more likely to tear perhaps? I am too embarrassed to ask my doctor about this specific point. what would your advice be, except visiting my doctor? i intend to do this if the problem persists anyway.

Many thanks, SP
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:29 am

One of the listed side effects for Implanon is vaginitis which can have such symptoms since it is an inflammatory condition. In addition, changes in bleeding patters are also considered a possible side effect so it is possible the bleeding is not coming from the sides of the vagina. I would not suspect any weakening or thinning of the vagina due to this. If after a few months things are still not right for you, be sure to discuss it with your doctor. Many side effects with hormonal contraceptives disappear in time.

You mentioned concern about your personality with oral contraceptives. There are some people who experience this but most people do not. You never actually know if it will be the case for you until you try them.

|