News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Missed miscarriage..how long can you wait for natural expel?

Peyn101 - Fri May 22, 2009 1:21 pm

I've been diagnosed with a missed miscarriage. I would have been about 12 wks but the sonogram showed 7/8 wks at time of demise. I just found out yesterday and was asked to take weekend to decide what course I want to take. I know alot of that has to do with my hard belief against surgery except in life threatening cases. How long will a provider let a patient go before ordering a D&C? I have no show, bleeding, or cramps.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 am

User avatar Hello,
The conservative treatment, allowing your body to eventually evacuate the products of conception, is usually effective and safe but may take between two and six weeks to be completed. Obviously, the risks associated with medications or a surgical procedure with anesthesia are avoided.

Use of medication (misoprostol)usually completes the miscarriage within a few days - again bypassing any surgical risks, though medications often have side effects.

Many women opt for D&C to complete the process quickly. After several weeks without delivery there is a risk of infection, bleeding or other complications. Your doctor should explain all the risks and benefits associated with this procedure so you can make an informed decision that is right for you.

Best wishes.

=

========================================================================lP)[

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here