Question: Vaginal tissue in discharge

tennis123 - Sun May 24, 2009 11:39 am

I am an 18 year old, sexually active female, I am presently on Metronidazole Vaginal Gel (1 applicator full for 7 days) for a bacterial infection. Lately, I have noticed that there have been small pieces of red and skin-colored tissue (I assume that is what it is) in my discharge, no pieces being any bigger that maybe a centimeter. The discharge includes some of the gel that I insert in my vagina every night. I am wondering why this would be appearing...my period had just ended when I started the medication, and there is little to no chance that I had been pregnant and had a miscarriage (although I guess that is always a possibility seeing that I am sexually active and not on birth control...except for using condoms.) I hope you can explain why this is happening/ what is causing it/ and what this tissue is? Thank you!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Vaginal discharge is a way of cleaning out the uterus and vagina. It often contains tissue bits and clots in the menstrual flow. As you are treating infection, this may be related to the tissue damage caused by the infection. It's basically a clean up process so don't worry about this.

|