News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: postpartum bleeding after 6wks

vhemt_2000 - Mon May 25, 2009 2:31 am

Hello i had twins via c-section 6wks ago and i'm still beelding. its not really heavy but sometimes it comes and goes. I do not soak a pad in a hour or even 4hrs but i''m still bleeding. Its a red brown color. I was told that it should stop by now. Why hasn't it stoped. Not a whole lot of clots either. Is there something I can do? Is this normal? How much longer? Will it suddenly stop or will it change colors like i read? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sometimes this is an indication that you have been doing too much, especially strenuous activity. Try taking it easy to see if things slow down. There is no actual right amount of bleeding and as long as it is not heavy, I suspect it is hormonal adjustment. If you still need to see your doctor for a follow up after surgery, talk to him/her about it then. You are less likely to bleed if you are breastfeeding because it inhibits menses, usually for the duration of exclusive nursing. I think it will eventually slow down but it's good to be in touch with your doctor about your healing process. If you noticed a foul odor and/or fever, there could be infection but otherwise I would not worry.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here