Question: postpartum bleeding after 6wks

vhemt_2000 - Mon May 25, 2009 2:31 am

Hello i had twins via c-section 6wks ago and i'm still beelding. its not really heavy but sometimes it comes and goes. I do not soak a pad in a hour or even 4hrs but i''m still bleeding. Its a red brown color. I was told that it should stop by now. Why hasn't it stoped. Not a whole lot of clots either. Is there something I can do? Is this normal? How much longer? Will it suddenly stop or will it change colors like i read? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Sometimes this is an indication that you have been doing too much, especially strenuous activity. Try taking it easy to see if things slow down. There is no actual right amount of bleeding and as long as it is not heavy, I suspect it is hormonal adjustment. If you still need to see your doctor for a follow up after surgery, talk to him/her about it then. You are less likely to bleed if you are breastfeeding because it inhibits menses, usually for the duration of exclusive nursing. I think it will eventually slow down but it's good to be in touch with your doctor about your healing process. If you noticed a foul odor and/or fever, there could be infection but otherwise I would not worry.

|