Question: Recreational drug use & confirmed pregnancy-

mama2be - Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 pm

My husband and I have been trying for 3 years to get pregnant.
I've been on Minocycline since January. Friday, 5/22/09, I finally received a positive pregnancy test & it was confirmed by a blood test. There is a serious problem, that scares the bejesus out of me. In the past 3 months, I've done some very bad things...according to the blood test, I'm about 3 months along. I'd like to preface this with the fact that I've missed 3 periods, but my cycles are irratic. Also, I've been taking pregnancy test weekly since March (1st missed period). I've been using internet "special" tests, which I blame for the misinformation. In the past 3 months I've done many recreational drugs such as: marijuana (3x wk), I've drank 2x, but I've done cocaine 3x, but even worse I've done opiates. I've done fentanyl & morphine on an almost daily basis for 2 months. I quit the opiates as soon as I found out. I'm so afraid that I've already screwed up the only thing I've so desperatley wanted for so long. I tried to be responsible, by taking the pregnancy tests all this time. I also was a pack a day smoker. I've been tapering it off, since finding out & am down to 4 a day. What are the odds that my unborn baby will be healthy upon birth? Also, is there any smoking cessation products that I can take to help with the anxiety that comes along with quitting?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:05 am

I have to wonder about your "trying" to conceive while using recreational drugs. Of course it causes worry and there is really no way to know what risk is there exactly. Often the risks increase with dosage - frequency and amount used - the more used, the greater your risk. We don't know how much alcohol can be used without risk of fetal alcohol syndrome. We don't test drugs on pregnant women so we don't have a lot of scientific, good analysis. Because of this we recommend no illicit substances used and no smoking to be safe. Many healthy babies are born to mothers who did use such, but we can't predict your chances in this.

You are wise to get off the tobacco (and any other drugs) now because quitting at any point improves your odds for a healthy pregnancy. It is well worth the efforts to stop smoking. See if your locality has a stop smoking program. Many communities do have this, with special emphasis on pregnancy. Support can go a long way in helping you quit. Think of your baby and how much good it will do, especially in the long run if you can stay off the cigarettes, thus providing a safer environment for your baby and a good example.

Zyban is used in pregnancy to help women quit and it has not shown to increase the risk beyond the normal 3-5% that occurs in all births. Please talk to your doctor about your needs, get help from any pregnancy substance abuse program in your area and try to stay motivated for your family's sake. It has been shown that quitting smoking even during your pregnancy, as late as the second trimester, results in a low birthweight baby risk no greater than in a non-smoker.

The March of Dimes recommends the following resources to quit smoking:

* American Legacy Foundation
* www.smokefree.gov/
* 1800quitnow.cancer.gov/
* A toll-free quit line (800)-QUITNOW (784-8669)
Make a commitment now to do everything you can to be healthy and safe in your pregnancy.

|