News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Frequent Urination, Abdominal bloating and pain, no STD

notsohappy - Wed May 27, 2009 9:08 pm

I have been having many symptoms over the past few years, but no doctor has ever been able to put them all together into one single diagnosis. Maybe you can help me.
I am experiencing the following symptoms:
- frequent urge to urinate (24 hours a day)
- abdominal bloating and dull pain (especially after eating. I have had this symptom for over a year, and it got a little better when i stopped eating lactose)
- bloody discharge (but not bloody stool or urine)
- lack of appetite
- gas, and constipation

I currently have been diagnosed with lactose intolerance, but take pills whenever I eat lactose. I have had UTI in the past, but was cured with antibiotics. I have had bacterial vaginosis and was cured and also chlamydia and was also cured. I have had the frequent urge to urinate 4 months earlier and got checked for UTIs and got a pap test, but came up negative. I have also been checked recently for STDs and came up negative. The need to urinate went away on its own and now is recurring again with the above symptoms. I did not check for UTI this time. I recently took a blood test for celiac disease with results coming soon. I am going to try to get an ultrasound as my mother had endometriosis and uterus cysts when she was younger.

What do you think it is, and what should I do about the frequent urination for the moment as it is extremely uncomfortable.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 am

User avatar Hello,
Many women are prone to urinary tract infections so you should have this checked whenever you have symptoms like this. That would be the first route. You may have irritable bowel syndrome, which can be hard to pinpoint since there aren't actual tests to diagnose it. There are so many organs in the abdomen that can cause distress (gall bladder, bowel, appendix, bladder, ovary, uterus, and more), it is very confusing and finding a cause usually is a matter of trial and error - just treating for various possibilities and hoping one or more of the efforts will result in improvement.

I know it is frustrating not knowing what is going on. I would keep a detailed diary of foods eaten, symptoms and times of improvement. Sometimes a good history helps find answers so take this with you when you see your doctor.

Good luck with this.
 notsohappy - Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 am

I have an update on my previous post.
I went to a clinic doctor and it turns out it was a UTI even though the test for it came up negative. The only thing was excess white blood cells I think (which usually means UTI). My celiac test came up negative, but I still have bloating on and off. I have done the elimination diet many times over the past year. I find that coffee and carbonated drinks effect me negitively (like most people). It may be irritable bowel syndrome as well, but i highly doubt it. How can I have lactose intolernace, irritable bowel syndrome AND frequent UTIs all at once? I'm going for an abdominal ultrasound in the fall to check for cysts and such. Anyway, I'm sick of being sick. But thanks for your reply.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm glad you found the source of the main problem but it is possible to have multiple conditions all at once (comorbidities) so you must treat each individually. Staying away from offending foods and drinks is always wise since people react differently to various substances. Thanks for the update.

Best wishes.
 notsohappy - Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Just a final part to my story. You don't have to reply to this. I don't want to bother you anymore. But, I checked out your idea that I might have IBS, and I found out that I do. Getting rid of red meat, fatty foods, any dairy out of my diet has helped, as well as exercise after meals, eating less big meals and eating more fibre. It's been a rough year as I've been diagnosed with lactose intolerance, IBS, UTI's that I currently take small doses of antibiotics for when needed, and finally I also have an ovarian cyst. (I'm also only in my 20's)

I just want to say to anyone reading this who has had symptoms that I have had over the past year to ask their doctor about these things. It's possible to have many things wrong with you at once, and it may take awhile to pinpoint every single problem and related symptoms, but don't give up.

Thank you very much for helping me get a diagnosis.
 ouches - Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 am

Wow! you sound like me. I had to join after seeing your post. I've been sick for a yr. & half. I have been through so many tests. I have a lot of the same symtoms as you. But I've had hemmoraging cysts on my ovaries, abn. bleeding, pain pain pain. abn. stools. frequent urination. But ive never had a uti. dr.s are frustrated too. Blood tests are always off. You SERIOUSLY need to look into INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS. i have a lot of the symtoms and i'm being looked at as that as an option especially with your uti's. good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here