"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Tender Abdomen after Pregnancy

soretummy09 - Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

I gave birth to my son 6 months ago but I still have pain to the touch in my upper and lower abdomen. It is a dull pain, not sharp or anything but is it something that I should be concerned about? I do walk about three times a week but I havent been doing any other type of exercise. Also I don't sleep on my stomach, only on my sides and rarely on my back.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I can't imagine what about childbirth that would cause a lingering dull pain in the absence of other symptoms such as fever or sign of infection. If you had a cesarean delivery, there might be some adhesions or something like that but in the case of a normal, vaginal birth, this is puzzling. It is possible it could be merely coincidental and totally unrelated to the birth.

I would recommend you see a doctor about this, though it is not likely to be an urgent concern.